There are dozens and dozens of different types of coffee makers on the market, which is why our search for the best under counter coffee maker was surprisingly frustrating to say the least. There are limited options to explore and buyers need to carefully choose something of quality construction. We are here to report the results of our comprehensive research to save you time and a tension headache.
If you are looking for our top recommendation, it can be found here.
One dilemma for many coffee drinkers is lack of counter space for a coffee pot. Choose a too small coffee pot and its not enough coffee. Too big, takes up too much space on the counter. That’s why under counter coffee makers are an excellent solution.
If you have a small kitchen, an RV, a houseboat, or any area with limited counter space, an under cabinet coffee maker is essential and smart.
Under the counter coffee makers are usually mounted on the underside of flat-bottomed cabinets and offer quick access to a hot cup of Joe. Perhaps you are vacationing in an RV or need something compact to fit in your office break room.
These types of coffee makers have been on the market for a while and various manufacturers have added them to their appliance lines. It’s important to know all the benefits they offer before you make your purchase.
- Under counter coffee makers are a great solution for small kitchens, RVs, boats and houseboats, trailers, and office break rooms.
- Most coffee makers are fully automatic and pre-programmable. They are super easy to clean by simply wiping off the surface with a damp towel. Also, you can find one of these coffee makers to match just about any types of kitchen appliances you already have.
- Many of these space savers come able to brew up to 12 cups of coffee each time. They have clocks and timers so owners can program brewing time for wake-up or the 3 o’clock slump at the office.
- Some models have a “sneak-a-cup” feature that breaks into the brewing cycle so you can grab a hot mug of java even during brewing. This is a wonderful feature for those on the go who don’t have time to wait for an entire pot to brew before they can head out of the house.
- Some of the newer models of under the counter coffee makers include options for making coffee differently than just with water over grounds. Options include chambers, vacuum pots, time and brew controls and even charcoal filters, which can be used to make supreme tasting coffee.
- Some other key benefits to under counter coffee makers include sleek design and color offerings, cup capacity, ease of installation, save-a-plug outlets, auto shut-off and detachable water reservoirs.
Some other advantages to having an under cabinet coffee maker include a steam capture system, a carafe sensor and great capacity. The steam system is placed above the pot to prevent the steam from escaping and damaging the electronic parts of the machine. The carafe sensor is a Godsend as it prevents a lot of messes by ensuring the carafe is placed correctly.
Some disadvantages to having an under the counter or cabinet coffee maker include things like the machines not keeping the coffee hot for long, they can be expensive, and if brewers aren’t careful, they can get messy.
Black & Decker is one of the top makers of under the cabinet or counter coffee makers. They come with templates to make installation simple. They also offer features that turn this space saving brew machine into a coffee-making powerhouse.
Best Under Counter Coffee Makers:
This sleek-looking model features a glass carafe that rests on a hot plate. Its base is mounted under a cabinet, which gives that “hanging” look. This model is easy to fill with water and to see how much coffee is left in the pot.
A really neat feature of this model is the save-a-plug option that allows users to plug in two SpaceMaker appliances with just one outlet. It is fully programmable, has a blue LED light that lights up for 20 minutes to let brewers know the coffee is warm.
This model is a bit scaled down from the SDC 850 and does not have the save-a-plug option. It has templates for easy installation and a stainless steel carafe to keep the coffee warm for hours but not burned.
The Bottom Line
We will continue to update this list as new products are put on the market. Our research has shown us that there is definitely room for improvement and more options for the consumer would be very helpful. Black and Decker has a monopoly on the market and some competition would greatly improve the product.
Ultimately, when purchasing on of these space saving machines, consumers need to know what they are looking for. It can get easy to outspend the need, so it is important to research the different options for the best under counter coffee maker. If you learn of any models that we have not mentioned please let us know! We would be happy to include it in this list.